Monday, February 27, 2012

Out of it...literally

This evening I enjoyed a really tender baked quail over vegetables and brown rice. By tender, I mean juicy. The kitchen smelled so good! Chicken, quail similar meats are fun to cook because they can be tossed with spices; its outcome though is a good kind of contrast than you get with a steak. Still, this isn’t about the quail. It is about what happens after dinner.

Sweets…so much for thinking this can only happen on the weekends.
I was searching for an inspiration on what kind of dessert I could bake. To me, baking is like a helpful assistant, "The only thing you need to do is mix it all up, and it'll do the rest." The only complicated part was deciding on the menu. I had been making many cookies and cakes lately, so I was kind of getting bored of the same routines. One glance at some cookbooks and it came to me! My inspiration!

There was one recipe in Entenmann's Dessert Cookbook that I have wanted to try for quite some time... actually, to be specific since Thanksgiving. I love pumpkin spice. It reminds me of all the things I love: sweet holidays, cinnamon, hot chocolate, good friends and family and some bittersweet nights. It is like reminiscing of a good friend. The pumpkin spice was only partial of the recipe. Along with oats, canned pumpkin all rolled into a loaf, this was sure to be a delectable treat. Just as I was about to get started, I double check all the ingredients making sure I am ready.

Crap.

Yep. I had only about 1/4 cup of butter. The recipe called for more than a half a cup. Normally, I can overcome this sort of problem. I add a bit more milk, or heavy cream, and it comes out perfectly. However, as I mentioned I have been looking forward to this moment. The topper was to smell the aroma of pumpkin loaf in the living room and know it is ready to be pulled out. Sometimes moments like that can't be DIY'd.

The funny part was out of all the things I could be out of butter should be at the bottom of the list. I always stock up on baking supplies...because you never know... And now you see why it is so important because I am stuck in this situation.

I assure you though by the end of the week there will be pictures and a review about this loaf. Just because I am out of butter doesn't mean I am going to wait another 6 months to try again.

You're going down loaf!

No comments:

Post a Comment