Friday, January 27, 2012

A Trip to Paris

When I was in Paris, France last year I got a chance to see all the sights. There was so much to look at and take in. However, my family and I were rushed into the shade of a local restaurant because of the October heat. It didn't take long to cool down and I got to eat some amazing sandwiches and enjoy a glass of wine.

The best part of the day (besides the sights) was the soup that my boyfriend ordered.

A white bowl, sides browned from being in the oven, was sashayed out by the waiter. As my eyes followed their movement, the tray seemed to taunt my hunger. The bowl was placed next to me and I could hear my boyfriend's stomach growl with excitement while his eyes widen with anticipation. It may have appeared like a war lost but I knew that he would let me steal a bit.

My spoon pulled away, yet the cheese couldn't help but put up a fight. There were strings of cheese dripping off every bite. Sliced and caramelized onions with crunchy, fresh bread would be coated with a well seasoned beef broth sauce.

I was in a soup heaven that I never knew existed.

This is what today's post is about. For those that can't make it Paris soon, I am going to bring it to you.


Eifel Tower Onion Soup

Ingredients:

4 sliced white onions
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 bay leaves
2 thyme sprigs
1 cup red wine
3 tbls flour
8 cups beef broth
½ cup butter
1 baguette
8 thick slices Gruyere (or Gouda) cheese
Salt
Pepper


Directions:

Start by melting the butter in a pot over medium heat. Stir to keep the butter from burning then add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, thyme and salt/pepper. Cook the onions until soft which is about 30 minutes. Pour in the red wine and simmer until the onions have soaked up the juice and the wine has evaporated. Take out the bay leaves and thyme then add the flour and stir together with the onions. Cook this for 10 minutes then afterward finally add the beef broth simmering for another 10 minutes (also season with salt and pepper to taste).

Preheat the broiler and cut the baguette into slices. Place the slices on a baking sheet then put one of the slices of cheese onto the bread. *Note: I like a lot of cheese so it’s okay to add more than one slice. Cook these guys for 5 minutes or until golden brown with cheese melted. Place them on top of individual soup bowls. *Note: You can always simply put the soup into oven safe bowls and cook the bread with the cheese on the soup. Whatever is your preference.


One last note, don't be afraid to go over the top and sit below some snapshots from Paris.
Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment