Monday, August 15, 2011

Don’t have all the ingredients?

Doesn’t it make you wonder where all the food and money went when you just went grocery shopping two days ago? I can’t stand it when I am sitting down at my desk or watching a movie when all of a sudden I get a craving. Not just any craving though I am wanting something specific also delicious, savory and sweet. So I get up and head to the kitchen, or to my phone, looking in the pantry and trying to find a recipe.  
A sweet craving isn't even the main problem. At first, cookies comes to mind but I'm convinced I have had enough to last for another week. Then brownies and cake are an idea except it doesn't sound like a special treat. Next thing I know I am looking on my phone for pie recipes...not just the filling but making the crust too.

Okay. There is cherry, coconut, blueberry and even mini lemon pies. I can tell I wasn't prepared for this idea at all because I don't even have half of what these recipes are calling for.

Why don’t I start out with what I have in the fridge first?
I got strawberries and flour…sugar, vanilla extract, lemon…one banana. Hmm…. A mixed pie?


My Strawberry Banana Pie
Ingredients: Buy a pre-made crust or… make a homemade one! J Come on, be brave! And if you need a lesson in rolling dough, watch this video first!


Note: Make sure you don’t start cutting out holes in the dough like you are going to make cookies…we just need the dough rolled out to use as a crust in the pie dish and another for on top of the pie!

              Crust
                            2 ½  cup flour plus extra for rolling
                            1 cup (or 2 sticks) butter very cold
                            1 teaspoon salt
                            1 teaspoon sugar
                            6-8 tablespoons of very cold water

Combine flour salt and sugar in bowl then mix. Add butter and continue to mix (you can use a spoon…I used my hands) until the butter sticks to flour forming a ball. If you need extra help add some of the water while mixing. The finished dough should still have little pieces of butter throughout.

Remove dough from bowl and separate into two pieces. Do not knead yet. Place both discs into separate plastic wraps and let chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.

Then remove one dough ball from the fridge and let sit for 10 minutes. This will make it easier when we roll out the dough. Sprinkle the rolling area with flour then using a rolling pin, or if you can your hands, roll out the dough. Make sure you try to roll/push the dough from the center out towards the edges but stop before hitting the counter (I forgot that part and the edges of mine came out all deformed and flaking apart). Yep, this was my first time too. Now you all can watch and learn from my pie mistakes.

Next, you can flip the dough over and add more flour below and on top if the butter is starting to warm up and stick to the counter. The finished and hopefully somewhat round-looking disc should be about 1/8 inch thick.

Then delicately place the rolled out dough onto a pie dish and press the dough all the way around the bottom to fill the spaces.  Cut any excess dough that is falling off the edges of the dish.


             
 Place dish into the fridge to chill, or until ready to use that day.

Filling
                            3 cups fresh strawberries halved (or cut in quarters depending on how big)
                            2 to 3 bananas cut
                            1 tablespoon flour
    1 cup sugar
                            ½ teaspoon lemon zest
                            ½ teaspoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
                            ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
                            1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water
                            Cool Whip or vanilla ice-cream (optional)

Mix first the strawberries and sugar in a large bowl. Then add the flour, zest, juice, cinnamon and vanilla and stir for a few minutes. You should notice the mixture getting juicy from the strawberries and how good it smells! Delicious! You can even put a finger in to taste just to get an idea of what the pie will come out like.


Next, add the bananas and mix in bowl as well then pour the filling into the chilled pie crust.

Let rest the second cooled dough ball and then roll it out then delicately place on top of the pie dish and filling. Cut any excess dough around the pie and then pinch together the edges (or as I did press the edges with a fork for a nice design).Bake for 375 degrees F for 40 minutes. Make sure to check the top of the pie as to not burn it. If it is already browning put foil over the top of the pie. Let cool and serve with Cool Whip (as I did) or as my boyfriend suggested vanilla icecream.



If you need any other help or have suggestions let me know. And keep in mind that any recipe you find or get, you can adjust to make your own! Say you don’t want that many strawberries or just don’t have enough, don’t add it or add something else.

Cook with what you got!

No comments:

Post a Comment