Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Been to Poland Recently?


The best restaurants to eat are found by either friends or travelers. I’ve visited many family and friends from different states even countries, but the first thing they mention is, “Oh! You have to go with us to this restaurant we love in town. They got the best…” And if I am not hearing that, then I am the one saying it to everyone else. To me, nothing is much better than heart-warming food, friends and experiences.


The first weekend I landed in Germany I took a trip to Boleslawiec, Poland. I know a random place to visit than the normal “Paris O La La.” Still, I don’t want to spend all my time seeing what most people see and experience what most visitors do. If that were the case, over some time all the stories would be the same. Don’t you think? And if you think about it, some places are going to be wonderful while a few miles away not so much. I don’t think it would matter where. Being in Boleslawiec was great though.
My boyfriend and I spent most of our time tracking down the locals for pottery, but we got to enjoy what they too enjoyed.
There weren’t many places to go out and eat, on account that no one else travels as much as the U.S. hence Mc. Donald’s and Del Taco. Hmm…Del Taco…
While on our way back to the Hotel, I spotted this outrageous yet cute little house. It looked like a replica of a Lincoln Log home, except real-life size. Not only that but there was this beetle, bug, out front that was painted to look like it too was made out of logs. The sight of them both was oddly funny and inviting. My boyfriend didn’t know if it was a business or someone’s home. I asked only because there was a huge parking space, or rather lot, which seemed to be used daily.

When we got back to the hotel, which at this time it was lunch and we were starving, the dining room was still closed for another hour or two. We couldn’t wait. I asked the desk what recommendations they had for local restaurants; sure enough they showed us a picture of the Lincoln Log Home. It was actually called Opalkowa Chata.
The inside of the Opalkowa Chata was just the same as it was on the outside, made of logs. In fact, even the tables were probably parts of the house.
On a quick note though, you will not believe how hard it is in Germany, let alone Poland, to find restaurants that serve fresh ice tea, with no added sugar or flavoring. Thankfully, this place did!  I was excited.
Coming to that restaurant had been one of the big highlights of the trip. I still remember sitting eating the spinach and beef pierogies off of my boyfriend’s plate, as he dug into mine. All the while, we were talking to one another and listening to the group of people laughing and chatting at the next table. Although we couldn’t understand a single word of Polish, it was quite nice to feel and experience something out of our box. The food was fantastic and that day had been perfect.

We did pick up some pottery on our way out of town. In fact, to this day my boyfriend and I are still all “potted out.”

 If you are ever in Poland you should check it out. I would definitely recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment